Monday, February 7

Thirty days of truth -- Day seven.

Someone who has made your life worth living for.

My grandmother, Maryanne, was an exceptional woman. When I was growing up, I was able to roam around unsupervised and get myself into all sorts of trouble. I won't get into all of that, but I'll just say that there was no discipline in my life. I was on the fast track to jail or worse, and my grandmother was the only person who ever pushed me to do anything. At the time, I thought that she was mean for making me do things that I didn't want to do. She sent me to summer camps, enrolled me into music programs and lessons once she realized my musical talents, encouraged me to go to college, and was the only one who truly believed in me. She always told me that there was nothing I couldn't do, while other family members told me that I wouldn't amount to anything and wouldn't even graduate from high school.

Maryanne was one of three daughters born to Italian immigrants, Dino and Katie Prosello.  She was the oldest, born in 1930. She was a teacher, she coached women's basketball and cheerleading, was head of the drama department, always encouraged others, and lived by example. She was involved in the her town's airport club, book club, bridge club, garden club and several others. She made sure that Boyne City was beautiful and that she contributed in any way that she could. She was an inspiration to many, and through all of the articles and family stories I've heard or read about her, I wish that I had gotten to know her better while she was still alive. She died in June 2003, and for me, it was one of the worst experiences of my life.

Maryanne taught me that there was so much more to life than I could ever imagine, and that just because my mother was single and struggling, I didn't have to end up with a life like that. If I put in the effort, I could excel at anything. She never told me I couldn't do it. She was more of an inspiration that I could ever express. She is the voice in the back of my head that tells me I can and will overcome the obstacles and curve balls that life throws at me. Did I mention that she was an inspiration to many, because she truly was!

When I would spend time with my grandmother, it was always fun. She organized many community rummage sales, so it was always exciting to wade through the millions of free gifts that businesses would send her. She would sing while I played her the latest songs that I had learned on the piano. She took me to her golf games and let me ride in the golf cart with her. We would go out to eat. She taught me to bake (still a passion of mine today!). She showed me that life could be fun if you had the right attitude.

I wish that my grandmother were here today. I know that she would be very proud of all of the things that I've accomplished and proud of the woman I've become. I wish I could tell her about the goals I have and my dreams. I wish she could have seen me graduate and go to college. I wish she could have seen my first apartment. I wish she could have met John. I wish that she could help me plan and attend my wedding. I wish I could sit around and play cards with her, or that we could read the same books and discuss them. I can't write this stuff without crying, because she was so special, and I miss her all the time.

Maryanne was a great lady. She was funny, smart and very dramatic. She had such a great sense of humor and was always pulling pranks. People that knew her well say that I remind them so much of her, and for me, that is the highest compliment I could ever hope to receive. I wish to be like her and to bring joy to others the way she always did. Minus the hairstyle, I look so much like she did when she was my age, that when I found a picture of her a few years ago and I thought, "hmm.... Where did my aunt get this picture of me and when was it taken?" I really hope that when I'm older, I still get to see her face when I look in the mirror.

Through her positive, "never give up" attitude and her love of encouraging others, my grandmother Maryanne has made my life worth living. I'm eternally grateful to her for everything she's ever done for me. I just wish I could see her again to tell her.

2 comments:

  1. Trish, this made me cry... i hate that you had to lose someone that meant so much to you, let alone having to lose someone at all.. I'm sure in heaven you will get to tell her all about what she did for you. Love you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Trish, of all the things your grandmother did in her life I think you would be her proudest accoplishment. Maryanne got a great return on her investment. I know she would be glowing over your life choices. Aunt J

    ReplyDelete